Our themes and key priorities
Our Draft Local Strategic Planning Statement sets out 14 planning priorities under the four themes to guide future land use in Byron Shire.
These priorities will provide the strategic basis for future land use decisions and how these achieve the community’s broader goals.
A Sustainable Shire
- Protect and enhance our biodiversity, ecosystems and ecology.
- Strive to become a sustainable community.
- Adapt to climate change and build resilience.
A Liveable Shire
- Support and celebrate our heritage, vibrant culture and diverse lifestyles.
- Create great places that support and encourage an active, connected community.
- Support Housing diversity and affordability with housing growth in the right locations.
A Thriving Shire
- Support a strong diversified and sustainable economy based on Byron Shire’s unique character, landscapes and important farmland.
- Develop and implement strategies to support agriculture, agri-business and farmers.
- Promote and support local business development, education and employment opportunities.
- Deliver an adequate supply of employment.
A Connected Shire
- Ensure infrastructure delivery is aligned with planned growth.
- Support through partnership, a network of sustainable transport options.
- Support community wellbeing with appropriate community infrastructure.
- Provide essential services and reliable infrastructure which meet an acceptable community standard.
Most of these priorities align with Council’s current Delivery Program/ Operational Plan(External link) (DP 2017-2021/OP 2019-2020), however some are new, coming from recently adopted strategies or place plans and others represent “gaps” to be included in a future DP/OP.
Consultation on the Draft Local Strategic Planning Statement (LSPS) closed 8 May 2020.
Visit the Local Strategic Planning Statement page on the Byron Shire Council website for more information.