Who can apply?

    Applications can only be submitted by eligible councils, the Lord Howe Island Board and the Unincorporated Far West area. Eligible councils include the 92 regional councils (outside Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong). A full list of eligible councils is provided at nsw.gov.au/ strongercountrycommunities 

    What kinds of projects are eligible to be funded?

    The Stronger Country Communities Fund supports projects that deliver local community infrastructure or sporting facilities. Projects must be for: • construction of new or refurbishment/upgrade of existing community infrastructure such as community halls, playgrounds, or toilet blocks • construction of new or refurbishment/upgrade of existing local sporting infrastructure such as change room facilities, walking and cycle pathways, public pool upgrades, indoor sports facilities or oval/court lighting • capital works related to street beautification and public ‘place making’ such as murals, planter boxes or town and tourism signage.

    What is meant by refurbishment, enhancement and maintenance?

    For the purpose of the Stronger Country Communities Fund: • refurbishment is a major renewal or restoration of existing infrastructure. ‘Major’ means a number of activities are carried out that cause material changes to the asset – how it looks or how it is used. For example, replacement of multiple components such as roofs, walls, floor coverings and external landscapes • enhancement is the addition of a component to existing infrastructure that will increase or improve its quality or value. For example, barbecues and toilet blocks at a local park or new kitchen facilities in a community hall STRONGER COUNTRY COMMUNITIES FUND Frequently asked questions Page 2 • maintenance refers to routine activities undertaken to sustain an existing asset in a functional state. For example, painting, changing light fixtures, or replacing worn carpet. Maintenance (as a stand-alone project) activities are not eligible under SCCF.

    Can a project be located on private land?

    Projects can be located on private land but must not be solely for private benefit. Council must endorse and apply for the funding, and be able to show how the asset will be operated and maintained throughout its lifecycle.

    When do projects need to start?

    Projects must commence within 12 months of when a letter of offer is provided. Projects must be completed within 24 months of when a letter of offer is provided.