Tyagarah Hall - Looking at future management options

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin Email this link

Consultation has concluded

Picture of Tyagarah Hall near the Tyagarah airfield in the Byron Shire.

Following consultation in 2019, Tyagarah Hall was leased to the Tyagarah Community Association.

History of the hall

The Tyagarah Hall, according to local folklore, was built by the community of Tyagarah-Myocum in the early 1900’s. There is a TROVE record that dates back to 1911 mentioning a School of Arts Hall at Tyagarah.

In 1982, the then Commissioner of Main Roads appropriated the land to build the Pacific Highway. At that time, the Hall was relocated to its current position near the Tyagarah Airstrip, which is on Council operational land, zoned RU2 – Rural Landscape.

The Hall was managed by the Myocum-Tyagarah Hall Committee under lease with Byron Shire Council to 1988. There is no record of a lease after this until the Tyagarah Hall Committee and Progress Association Inc, who were managing the hall, voted to hand the building back to Council in October 2005.

Following a series of parties, in October 2006 when a large party held at the hall resulted in property damage , theft and anti-social behaviour resulting in assault, the neighbours to the hall requested Council act and the hall was closed.

The Council at the time decided to call for Expressions of Interest (EoI) to occupy the hall and between 2007 and 2018 it was leased for approximately four years, raising $7,000 per annum. One lessee spent considerable money in upgrading the hall and installing an accessible ramp. It was also unoccupied for many years.

In 2018 Council called for Expressions of Interest for people and businesses interested in leasing the hall.

Following consultation in 2019, Tyagarah Hall was leased to the Tyagarah Community Association.

History of the hall

The Tyagarah Hall, according to local folklore, was built by the community of Tyagarah-Myocum in the early 1900’s. There is a TROVE record that dates back to 1911 mentioning a School of Arts Hall at Tyagarah.

In 1982, the then Commissioner of Main Roads appropriated the land to build the Pacific Highway. At that time, the Hall was relocated to its current position near the Tyagarah Airstrip, which is on Council operational land, zoned RU2 – Rural Landscape.

The Hall was managed by the Myocum-Tyagarah Hall Committee under lease with Byron Shire Council to 1988. There is no record of a lease after this until the Tyagarah Hall Committee and Progress Association Inc, who were managing the hall, voted to hand the building back to Council in October 2005.

Following a series of parties, in October 2006 when a large party held at the hall resulted in property damage , theft and anti-social behaviour resulting in assault, the neighbours to the hall requested Council act and the hall was closed.

The Council at the time decided to call for Expressions of Interest (EoI) to occupy the hall and between 2007 and 2018 it was leased for approximately four years, raising $7,000 per annum. One lessee spent considerable money in upgrading the hall and installing an accessible ramp. It was also unoccupied for many years.

In 2018 Council called for Expressions of Interest for people and businesses interested in leasing the hall.